DBAs, consultants & architects planning to run their SQL Server on Azure VMs
SQL Server running on-premises is no different than SQL Server running on Azure VM. While this is true, there are certain configurations and optimizations specific to Azure platform which every DBA, database consultant and architect need to be aware of to give them the same level of performance and availability as of on-premises SQL Server.
The session aims to cover the following topics for the attendees:
- Common scenarios where running SQL Server on Azure VM is beneficial.
- Optimal Azure VM configuration settings for SQL Server.
- Storage considerations, limits and configuration settings impacting the performance of SQL Server in Azure VM.
- How to tune and optimize SQL Server when running on Azure VMs.
- High Availability considerations in Azure.
- Backup\Restore options in Azure.
- Network and firewall configuration settings in Azure.
- Best practices for running SQL Server in Azure VM.
- DBA checklist to migrate your existing on-premises SQL Server workload to Azure VM.
At the end of the session, attendees will go back with a playbook listing all the know-how for optimizing and successfully running their SQL Server on Azure VMs.
Why I Want to Present This Session:
In my role at Microsoft, I have worked with some large enterprise customers to successfully migrate their SQL Server workloads on Azure VMs. I have also authored a book on SQL on Azure, sharing my experience of running SQL Server on Azure VMs. Being part of SQL Tiger team and having first hand experience of working and migrating some real world SQL Server workloads to Azure VMs, I believe I have the right experience and exposure to present this session.