Database Administrators\Developers with minimal experience of partitioning in OLTP\OLAP databases.
This mainly demo based session will cover the following:
- An introduction to partitioning, core concepts and benefits.
- Choosing a Partitioning Key
- Creating Partition Functions & Schemes
- Indexing Considerations
- Splitting, Merging & Switching Partitions
- Implementing Partition Sliding Windows
- Filegroup Restores with Partitioning
After the session, attendees will have an insight into partitioning and have a platform on which to be able to investigate further into implementing a partitioning solution in their own environment.
Why I Want to Present This Session:
I worked with partitioning for a pretty long time and I think it is an absolutely amazing tool that increases the manageability of our data.
However, there are a bunch of gotchas when it comes to building an effective partitioning solution so I want to share the knowledge and tips that I’ve accumulated over the years.
(Plus running these demos is really good fun 🙂 )